Monday, June 7, 2010

Lost 3 pounds and a concert in the same day?! Hell yeah, it's possible.


This post recounts the day of May 27th, 2010.

Bonjour, les amis. Today, was fantastic. Woke up out of a nice cozy bed for we owned the house on that one day, but today the ladies were coming back from Sin City. But to serious things, Weigh-in number 2. To recap, very bland weigh-in in Geogia, lost 0.4 lbs. Nothing to brag about. But I was amped up for this one. I felt it. But just in case, I asked if T minded if we walked two miles to the meeting. Of course, he relished the idea. And so we did. I got there and it was packed, so many more people at Weight Watchers then in Montreal, for I guess obvious reasons...but I got on that scale, and killed it, down 3.8 lbs. Good feeling indeed. After the meeting, we walked back a different way and got really lost, because no streets connected to each other and we just looped and looped in residential Long Beach for hours on end. Well, really two. But still!

When we finally got back to the house, we were starving, so we made our organic veggie burgers from Trader Joe's. Even on the frying pan, they were something else. Monica came over to visit, since we didn't see much o her on barbecue night. We had another controversial talk about makeup on women, but her views were a little closer to my own then previous people (Bev!) :P Tyler, Monica and I took a trip to one of my favorite stores in the States, Whole Foods. This place has everything, and it's just such good food, that I don't really care if I can pay 0.30$ cheaper at Wal-Mart. We shopped around awhile, buying mostly new stainless steel water bottles and a few other items that don't come to mind right now. Then we drove to an awesome place called Yogurtland. Picture 15 different kinds of frozen yogurt, 16 different kinds of toppings ranging from oreo bits to fresh pineapple and strawberries, and you can mix and match anything and weigh you cup at the end and that's what you pay. Seriously, a ton of Fro-Yo (it's how kids say it these days) for like 3-4$. What a deal! On really full stomachs now, we said bye to Monica and prepared our second day in Hollywood.

We had two items on the list, care of the planning man Tyler Rae. First off, vegetarian place, LifeFood Organic. Second off, an intimate concert at the hotel cafe. Third off, maybe a quick stop at Amoeba Music again, but just quick.

So, veggie place. First of all, they had seasonal menus, and we happened to be on the last day of their winter one. Therefore, very limited selection. I had the shitake sandwich and T tried the world's best veggie chilli. I had a taste, and even I have to say, it must be pretty damn close. Even though I thought the place was a little overpriced for what they served, it was freakin delicious. It also reminded me I need to used more avocado in my cooking back at home. Then we went to Hotel Cafe. This was no ordinary concert venue. We walked in, saw maybe 5 tables and chairs to fit maybe 15 people if they were all stick people. The way it worked was it started at 7pm, and every hour, a new artist would come on, until midnight. We were there mainly for an artist T had researched before we left called Emily Jane White, who had the 9 PM slot. She already had 2 albums out, and we listened to both whilst driving through the States. Needless to say, we were quite anxious for her performance. But we walked in at 8:35PM and saw an angel on stage. Her name was Carla Warner, and she was gorgeous. Not only gorgeous, but her music and lyrics and voice were all but phenomenal. She personally gave me a very big PJ Harvey vibe...simply fantastic. We kind of regretted getting there late, but then Emily Jane came on stage and we forgot everything, as we drowned in her poetic voice and lyrics, her very talented musical partner playing steel guitar in the shadows. I just couldn't get enough. And, did I mention, this concert cost all of 10$...for 5 hours if we'd wanted to stay. But the next performer only cussed and fussed so we felt it a better use of our time to buy Emily Jane's albums at Amoeba. Tyler bought both, I, broke as I was, had to refrain. It was to be for another time.

We got back to the house to some pooped and Vegas'd out women, just chilling on the couch making conversation. We talked until pretty late, and Tyler decided to try an air mattress alternative, with two chairs together to make a bed. I myself took the couch cushions from Bev and made a bed on the ground, most likely both options were better then the air mattress. We fell asleep to the sweet sounds of the cats running up and down the halls. And tomorrow was to be another day.

Album of the day: Ipos by the Dreamers (John Zorne)

Song of the day: Victorian America, sung live by Emily Jane White

No comments:

Post a Comment