Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Oh Beverley, we shall miss thou!


This post recounts the day of May 30th, 2010.

So after that crazy dream, I woke up at 5 AM. All the Irish girls in my room were still sleeping :( So I went upstairs to their room to see if Bev was ready. We went to our parking at 6 AM, and to our dismay, our canadiens car flag had been cut off its pole. More on that later. I was little off my rocker if you know what I mean, but I trucked on anyhow to make that 25 minute drive to the airport. Tyler was a bit help in the back seat, and Closing Time by Tom Waits blasting in the car helped immensely as well. We said our goodbyes to one of our cast members on this trip, and we were back to three. We drove back to the hostel and I got a little more sleep in before the average length drive to Redding, CA. We all checked out at 10 AM (mom and uncle both loved! the hostel, which was great news to me, for fear they would never road trip with me again) and we began our in-car exploration of what we missed in San Fran. First, we checked out Fisherman's Wharf, always a must-see when visiting the Bay City. Afterwards, my uncle made a comment that irked me: "I don't know why everyone say San Francisco streets are so steep, they're not much worse than Montreal..." WHATTT!! So I brought them up Powell near the crookedest street (Lombard) in North American. They quickly changed their tune. They hopped out of the car and saw what I say is the best view of San Francisco, on top of the highest peak in downtown. Finally, the last stops in SF were the thrift stores where my uncle saw books he wanted and my mom, a vase.

While leaving SF on the beautiful Golden Gate Bridge, we got a longer view then we wanted as we hit Memorial Day Weekend Traffic. And then, after 15-20 minutes, through the rainbow tunnel and to northern Cali we went. Me and Tyler were pretty excited, especially since we were going to meet a friend of his in Redding, Kristina, who has been following our trip closely via blog, and was excited to see us as well. We called her from the hostel in the morning, and multiple times on stops along the way, but still no answer. We figured once we hit the hotel, we could use the very handy facebook or MSN to contact her. We were quite hungry though upon arriving at the hotel, so we went on Happycow.net and found the nearest vegetarian friendly restaurant, a 5-mile drive from the hotel. It was a pretty recluse place, in an outdoor mall, adn we loved it. My mom and I ordered Vegan Quiche, and Tyler a BBQ Tofu sandwich. My uncle ruined the veggie party by ordering a turkey breast sandwich, which he loved anyhow. My uncle proved he was actually a nice guy, when he paid the cashier extra when she had undercharged him, which we were all in shock and awe over...(just kidding uncle rick!)

Finally, we tried to call our friend Kristina back at the hotel for the upteenth time, to no avail. Next time...we said. My mom, my uncle and I took a small walk afterward to digest. The pic above is actually from that walk, and their first pic on the blog! I fell asleep early that evening, and Tyler caught a show called Check It Out with Dr. Steve Brule, starring John C. Reilly, and I think he found it really funny. Just thought I'd mention that, I'm not advertising for the show or anything...And tomorrow was to be another day.

Album of the day: Closing Time by Tom Waits

Driving today: 5 hours

Incredibly ridiculous note: Habs car flag cut off today

No comments:

Post a Comment