Monday, June 7, 2010

Some family, a barbecue and a big-ass bottle of wine...Splendid evening!


This post recounts the day of May 25th,2010.

Well, well, well. The day has finally come. I get to see Eve Rae again, Tyler’s aunt, whom I missed dearly since I saw her last, almost a year today. But right now, were in Tempe, AZ. So I had to get my drive on. We started off with a healthy breakfast, and the dude watching the breakfast to make sure it stayed full talked to us for 5-10 minutes about the news and weather...most likely to squeeze a tip out of us. It failed, but that’s just because I never tip at hotel breakfasts. We attempted to read the USA today while eating some eggs and toast, but to no avail, because that newspaper is just awful, it’s really full of terribly written articles and the whole paper just doesn’t flow... Finally we left, leaving Bev with another on the go breakfast. Surprisingly, I got a fantastic sleep that night, and therefore the drive to Long Beach, which was about 6 hours, felt like nothing at all.

Once we got there, we went to Trader Joe’s beforehand, which is like a mix between Whole Foods and Health Tree, therefore, awesome and wholesome good food. We bought a few items: olives (almonds and garlic), veggie burgers for the upcoming barbecue, and soya milk and a box of cereal for Tyler, as the man does love his soy milk! We got to Eve’s new house at around 3 PM, and it looked like an article from a magazine. Gorgeous furniture, great decor and flower arrangements, simply pristine. Best feature: Surround sound that would play out the windows and into the backyard. That feature will be used for days to come. We weren’t the first ones to arrive, a small family from Cornwall, ON, friends of Eve’s, were there already. Sara was quite charming, as was Ashley, her younger sister, and the very eloquent Sandra, their mother. Bev, Tyler and myself got acquainted with the lot and told them of our road tales and troubles. Though I have been on vacation for almost 3 weeks now, this is the first time I had absolutely no worries in my mind. We were finally in Long Beach, enjoying the company of family and friends, and a nice cool breeze was in the air.

A little later in the afternoon, Monica, who we had met last year, came over and we reminisced over a rum and cokes (for me anyway, I think they had water). More people started showing up, and I especially warmed to a couple by the name of Jana and Gregor, who were from Russia and loved hockey. Coincidence? It was really a fantastic barbecue, with Tyler holding the chef job and doing a fantastic job on the burgers for everyone (veggie and meat alike), and it seemed everyone had a grand old time. I’m gonna add that the 5 Liter bottle of wine was only half-drunk, and Lydia, a very scary\nice woman, brought it home, along with my Ipod, saying that she’d load it up with audiobooks for our trip. Mistake? Perhaps. We shall only see. It was also great to see Millie once again, Monica’s mom, as she is always good for a laugh a minute. Soon, everyone started to head home, and Tyler and I were left with our inflatable mattress, and Sara and her family also staying at Eve’s house that night, we had a great chat before bed, especially about the fact that all the women were going to Vegas tomorrow, leaving me and T to fend for ourselves in the streets of Long Beach. Ka-ching! And tomorrow was to be another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment